What To Eat When You Have Braces
As a general rule, we recommend you stay away from hard,
chewy, or sticky foods.
There are certain hard or sticky foods that can damage your braces and even cause them to become detached from your teeth.
Below you’ll find a list of foods we recommend you stay away from as they can catch or stick to your your braces, loosen the brackets, or bend the wires.
Here is a list of foods we recommend you generally avoid.
- Candy (hard chocolate, chewy gummy bears, etc.)
- Any whole hard fruit (cut them into pieces instead)
- Large pieces of any meat (cut into small slices)
- Hard crusty bread, including pizza crusts
- Most hard cookies
- Chewing on pencils
- “Nutty” peanut butter
- Corn on the cob
- Hard carrots
- Biting meat off ribs or bones (cut meat off instead)
- Cereals with nuts/granola
- Any type of nut (other than thinly sliced)
- Unpopped popcorn (be careful with the husks of the popcorn getting stuck in your gums)